I suggest you ...

Add exploratory encounters with larger maps and not just enemies

I'd really like to see exploratory encounters, where there are no foes on the map at first, but other things to interact with, while still being map/turn-based rather than text/choice-based. Enemies could then arrive, materialise or otherwise be come across.

This would work even better if the maps were scrollable, so that you could move over more terrain than is usually visible on one map, possibly revealing enemies or other interactable squares as you go. This would feel much more like a traditional tabletop rpg.

380 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Maeglin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • firstkyne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A non hex map, just with corridors, doors etc. would work. the players vote which corridor to go down. Extra actions are made available when someone intereacts with an object.

• firstkyne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about if going to certain areas opened up a range of personal options with extra turns so you can get through it quickly?
        I go to a door, am offered the chance to listen at it, open it or bash it. I choose my option. All within my turn, and nobody gets held up while I do it.

• Taurondir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to point out that if "larger maps" that involve exploration ever get made, unless the players, on those special maps, get multiple turns to get stuff done, you could use up a week of 1 turn/day moves just to look around.

• Taurondir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In most pen and paper modules, players don't normally split up. Doing so is usually suicide. One of the few times we had the party split, we fought in a city, and my Ranger kept to rooftops and kept LongDoor'ing around as there was a NightBlade chasing after me. Staying put too long meant arrow shots being triangulated, followed by an Artifact level shortsword through both lungs.

I would like to have larger maps, but I'm not sure under what conditions you'd use them in a computer turn game because of engine limitations.

If NPC's were also in action, that would make perfect sense, like a small castle gate siege, or players were trying to kite/herd mobs around, or terrain offered advantages due to positional spots, like high balconies, or behind barriers, or players had to cross terrain under long distance fire etc etc and all of these would be highly situational and rare events.

Simply having expanses of terrain walked across for little strategic reasons, or only to trigger random mob encounters seems a waste.

I'd love to see players having a larger map for example where they have 3 turns available to set themselves into position to set up an ambush, but that would be once again a plot driven map, rather then some generic explorable zone.

• Del137 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, same thoughts, also may be take some ideas from Pocket Heroes at ios, abilities to change equipment during fight (carry more than one weapon/armor etc) to move through, descend levels of dungeon, press swithches/buttons etc.

• Mouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Moving on a grid 2 tiles at a time wouldn't work though, but this doesn't need to be a battle grid. It could be a kind of intermediary-scale map between overworld and battle map where the players vote on which overall room or area to move to next.

• Ivo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the first thoughts I had, too. Add a few dungeon exploration type quests! The map should be scrollable and there should be line-of-sight/fog-of-war type visibility. On the way encounters/puzzles/traps may appear in the way the dungeon has been designed.

This would be awesome.

Feedback and Knowledge Base