I suggest you ...

Allow party leaders to adjust the time limit between actions.

Sometimes you just want a quick dungeon romp. Let them enter the number of minutes they want to wait between actions, ranging from 1 to 1440.

70 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    IagreetothetermsofserviceIagreetothetermsofservice shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  NickNick responded  · 

It’s very likely we will make a change along these lines. There are some complications to work out, most importantly how to make sure parties don’t get auto-advanced through many rounds while players are asleep (without forcing them to constantly remember to change their time limit before bedtime). We have some ideas here, but also encourage you to post your own solutions.

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • nharkinsnharkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

making the timeout changeable by the party leader is definitely easy and should be done first. one member of our party is currently awol, so we're only making 1 move per day. that their character isn't contributing any damage output hasn't impacted us yet, but default actions should be fairly simple to code: move forward until the closest target is in range and attack with the class' "basic" attack (to borrow a d&d 4e term, which is basically auto-attack "white damage" in WoW).

• DerekAdminDerek (Manager, 10x10 Room) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Larry, that's a good point. While it wouldn't help parties that want to play at a faster pace, it would certainly help when someone just forgets to submit a turn for the day.

• ErikErik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Larry, incorporating some kind of basic "default AI" for inactive players might be helpful.

• LarryLarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a better "inactive" solution was created, I don't think changing the auto advance timer would be as much of an issue. I posted a suggestion for this on this forum actually.

Right now the issue with auto advance is that inactive players actually increase the difficulty of the challenge a lot due to the number of monsters scaling on party size but not taking into account the players that aren't taking any meaningful actions.

You could borrow a page from online chess/go. With those games (on rated servers), you select a "nighttime" window, and sometimes also a "weekend" window, and the clock doesn't advance for you during that window.

Of course, your current model doesn't seem to track idle time individually per player, so that might now work well without modifying it somewhat.

• Kyle EssaryKyle Essary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think for this to work, they would have to be preset time-frames. Such as 15minutes, 1hour, 3hour, 6hour, 12hour and 24hour (current model.) That way it can be be selected with an easy menu, and displayed somewhere (maybe even color coded for easy recognition....?)

I certainly agree with the idea of being able to change the time limit though.

Also, could you implement something so that instead of automatically Defensive Posture + Recuperate, instead after 24 hours or X time determined, other players could select the zombie action instead? Perhaps have some kind of flag to indicate this?

It can be difficult to defeat some scenarios when people zombie.

Feedback and Knowledge Base