I suggest you ...

Allow Keyboard shortcuts

Build in some keyboard shortcuts to the interface for faster paced playing.

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Patrick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Patrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just had a thought: the other drawback of using number pad is that it doesn't work so well for folks who are on laptops.

• AdminNick (Manager, 10x10 Room) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I think that's how we would do it if we do it. An alternative would be to let people cycle through possible targeting squares using up/down or left/right arrow keys. That's less efficient for movement (where there are a maximum of six options, and thus it's relatively easy to do a mapping to six number keys), but scales better to situations where there are ten or more possible squares to target. It would be nice to choose an option that works for situations beyond movement.

Perhaps put numeric keys on the movement grid when it appears? That way it directly corresponds to what you see on your keyboard.

Interesting. Movement would be tricky because mapping our staggered square grid to a numeric keypad wouldn't be obvious. Numbered actions could well be, however.

I have an update ready that makes the Escape key capable of closing open overlays and canceling actions. Look for that tomorrow morning.

Movement keys make sense, such as on a numeric keypad. Number keys at the top of the keyboard for actions during your turn. Enter key for confirming an action.

Let us know if there are any particular keyboard shortcuts you'd benefit from. I've been wanting to tie the Escape key to cancellation actions, for example; are there any others you think make sense?

• AdminDerek (Manager, 10x10 Room) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Patrick,

We do have a couple of keyboard shortcuts you can use when playing. When you're on a quest, the left and right arrow keys will navigate to the previous and next events respectively. When you're viewing an overlay like a character sheet, hitting return will dismiss it. We plan to add more in the future.

Feedback and Knowledge Base