I suggest you ...

remove basic attack

Well, not entirely mind you, but for most classes, there is no reason to use basic attack. Rogue has deft blow, which is basic attack but with +1 damage. True Bow has Prescentient Strike which is basic attack but with +5 accuracy. Beacon has... something which is basic attack but a hit gives +5 accuracy till the end of their next turn. I don't see any reason why anyone would want to use a basic attack over one of these options, unless there is some kind of hidden disadvantage to using these skills. None of them require setup or have limited uses.

Taking out the basic attack option both helps new players who might pick basic attack without realizing they have a better option, and helps clear up the interface a bit as it removes a redundant option.

Runecasters should keep the basic attack because there might be a reason to use it over a spell, and vanguards should as well, as they don't have a direct replacement (or if they do, I don't remember it off hand).

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Taikei no YuureiTaikei no Yuurei shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LarryLarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only particular quest I've been on where basic attack "may" have been better than anything else is when fighting the cuma (sp?) in the cave during the first Dur Thomen quest. And this is only if you're a Runecaster, since your Fire Rune would do no damage (they were immune to fire) and your Earth Rune only does up to 4 dmg iirc. Again though, since Runecasters don't have anything resembling a better weapon attack, leaving Basic Attack in for them is not an issue.

• NickAdminNick (Manager, 10x10 Room) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something we've considered doing; in fact, it was on the tasklist for one of our releases, months ago, but it slipped in favor of getting other things done.

Kyle is right that there are both pros and cons to including Basic Attack. Most of the time, it's just clutter, as we've made sure every archetype has an interesting and superior alternative available. However, Basic Attack is helpful for new folks, and I think there are a couple of corner cases where it's tactically correct to use Basic Attack over the alternatives (not that I can think of them right now...).

• PladioPladio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You could just make the basic attack the one you get from the race. So Prescient Blow should be the basic attack. And whatever the rogue one is too.

And I'm wondering if Pinning Shot is doing what it needs to do as well. Is it supposed to restrain the enemy or just make him slower ? Because all it does now is reduce the agility.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would recommend keeping the "basic attack". Other attacks, like the "pinning shot", need to actually restrain the enemy down and stop them from moving or implement the desired effect (like burning or bleeding do).

• Kyle EssaryKyle Essary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've used it a few times. Initially, I used it because I wasn't up to speed on what all of my other abilities did. I'm a quick study though and figured it out readily enough. Then, as a Vanguard, I occasionally just used it out of laziness.

With regards to new players, I'm torn on the "removing it helps them" thing. Yes, removing it does keep them from making a less advantageous choice. On the other hand, they know easily that "this means I attack" and don't have to try to figure anything else out as they are learning the game. The best way I can see to make it relevant is give it a very small bonus/effect that is tied to race (since all classes get basic attack, so if it was tied to class - it would just be another class ability.)

Or, perhaps, the ability to add/remove items from the action roster. That way, if you don't use certain abilities or whatever, you can remove them.

• DerekAdminDerek (Manager, 10x10 Room) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You're right that Basic Attack is often redundant. We've discussed either making it always relevant or removing it entirely in a future release, though we haven't made any official plans yet.

Feedback and Knowledge Base